Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reflection #1 - Unit Q: Verifying Trig Identities

24. What does it actually mean to verify a trig function? 
It's basically when you are given a trig function and you know what the answer is. All that is needed to be done is for you to work with the trig function given on the left side and get the answer that lyes on the right.You verify to see if the statement is true, that the trig function actually equals that answer. One thing that you must keep in mind is to always work with the messy side, leaving the right side alone, throughout the whole problem.

25.What tips and tricks have you found helpful?
A big tip that proves to be very helpful is to have the identities memorized, or at least have them at hand whenever working with a problem. Also you may never divide by trig, instead when tempted move everything to the side and pull out a GCF. Another tip is that when squaring both sides, you should check for any extraneous solution. One other thing is that you multiply by the conjugate only when the denominator is a binomial. When denominator is a monomial you can proceed by separating into seperate fractions. Lastly when all fails, try converting all terms to sines and cosines.

26. Explain your thought process and steps you take in verifying a trig identity. Do not use a specific example, but speak in general terms of what you would do no matter what they give you.
When presented with a trig function I see as to whether I need to verify it or simplify it. If it does happen to be a verifying problem I leave the right side alone. Moving on by working with what I am given. Looking for anything I can substitute with an identity, if there's nothing I proceed by taking a look at the denominators. If the denominator is a monomial I seperate the trig function into two seperate fractions, or if it's a binomial I multiply by the conjugate. Afterwards substituting or foiling out what I'm left with, making my way through the problem to achieve what I want, either being a simplified or verified answer.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment